As the weather gets cooler and the days get darker, it’s easy to feel tired throughout the day. This is due to the lower exposure to light. When you get less exposure to light, melatonin production is increased. Melatonin makes you feel sleepy and sluggish.
In the fall, when there is less daylight and you spend less time outdoors, you might find yourself reaching for an extra cup of coffee or an energy drink. If you’re trying to live a healthier lifestyle and want a natural alternative, there are plenty of natural ways you can boost your energy!
One way to give yourself an energy boost is by making an on-the-go energy drink. Grapefruits are a natural source of energy (so you can put down that sugary energy drink). Grapefruits from Florida and Texas are available from October through June. So, you can enjoy them all fall and winter long without a problem.
To make a natural energy drink using grapefruit, all you need to do is infuse your water with the fruit. Here’s how:
1. Thinly slice 1 grapefruit.
2. Place the grapefruit slices in a pitcher.
3. Add 2 quarts of water.
4. Let it sit in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
5. Stir, strain, and throw away the grapefruit.
You can also use sparkling water for this recipe.
To make this energy drink more on-the-go friendly, pour the infused water into individual jars or bottles that you can grab on your way out the door.
If you aren’t a fan of grapefruit, you can try out another energy-boosting fruit that’s in season in the fall. Here are a few suggestions:
- Apples are available from July to November. Apples release energy slowly so you won’t experience a quick spike and crash. Apples also contain vitamins B and C, as well as potassium.
- Navel oranges are in season from November to May. Oranges offer a powerful energy boost and many nutrients, including phosphorus, vitamin C, and more.
- Lemons are available all year round. Meyer lemons in particular are in season from November to April. A glass of lemon water can give you the energy boost you need.
- Limes are in season from May to October, so take advantage of them if it’s not too late. Limes have detoxifying properties, which can help to give you more energy.
Don’t be afraid to experiment and make your own all-natural energy drinks at home. Try one of the fruits mentioned or a combination of them. There are many tasty recipes online too.