We have all been naturally programmed to associate mold with a major negative connotation, noting that it could make you seriously ill if ingested. Many molds can produce something called mycotoxins, which are certain types of mold that can grow on numerous types of foods such as cereals, dried fruits, nuts, and species. However, just because mold is present does not mean mycotoxins have produced.
But with this being said, it is probably wise to avoid ingesting any types of mold. This is because mycotoxicosis can occur from eating moldy food with mycotoxins, which can cause some unpleasant symptoms such as fatigue, ADHD, COPD, and depression. More severe, long-term effects are noted as Parkinson’s disease and even cancer.
Sources of mold and how to avoid them.
Mold is something that can not only grow on foods, but it can grow in your natural living space… in your bathroom, in your kitchen, and especially in your basement. Mold and mold spores found in the air can then result in some serious respiratory health problems such as coughing, wheezing, other upper respiratory symptoms in otherwise extremely healthy people. If left unchecked, that white mold or mildew can form into brown or even black mold, which can be incredibly life-threatening.
Some of the best ways you can prevent mold or mildew from forming include the following:
❏ Keeping a healthy humidity level in the home
❏ Keeping natural ventilation through the home, i.e. opening windows
❏ Using organic, non-toxic cleaning products (water-based and non-aerosol)
❏ Eliminate wet areas in the home… wet areas are the perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew
❏ Keep indoor plants
❏ Locate any leaks and be sure to fix them promptly
Symptoms of mold exposure.
As mentioned, mold exposure can cause a lot of health issues, mostly upper respiratory. This includes sneezing, runny, or stuffy nose, cough/post-nasal drip, dry skin, etc. If any of these symptoms (or previously mentioned side effects) continue, it is best to see a doctor right away.